The Best Red is a White. Yes, we know, the saying is the other way around, but even though most of us start appreciating fine wines through reds, the reality is that on this wine-loving journey, we often end up thoroughly enjoying whites. Because they are versatile. Because they can be incredibly complex without losing freshness. Because they reflect the terroirs and climates they come from very well. And especially because they are incredibly gastronomic.
Más información sobre Vino Blanco
What Types of White Wine Do We Have at Coalla Gourmet?
At Coalla Gourmet, we take pride in presenting you with a variety of carefully selected white wines to satisfy even the most discerning tastes. Our catalog includes different types of white wine, such as sweet white wine, dry white wine, fruity white wine, and white wines from well-known Spanish brands. Our goal is to provide you with the best tasting experience with each bottle you acquire, offering a wide variety for all preferences and at different price levels.
Grape Varieties Used for White Wine
White wines can be made from a wide variety of grapes, each contributing its unique characteristics to the wine's flavor. Some of the most common grapes used in the production of white wines include Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Verdejo, Albariño, and Gewürztraminer. Each grape has its own aromatic notes and flavor profiles, resulting in a wide diversity of options for white wine lovers.
Main Denominations of Origin (DO) for White Wine in Spain
In Spain, we have various Denominations of Origin (DO) specializing in the production of high-quality white wine. Some of the most notable DOs include Rías Baixas, Rueda, Penedès, Rioja, Somontano, and Ribeiro. Each of these regions has its own climatic characteristics and types of soil that influence the character and personality of the white wines they produce. In Rueda, aromatic and refreshing white wines are mainly made from the Verdejo grape. In Rioja, white wines with body and complexity are produced, using varieties such as Viura and Malvasía.
International Denominations of Origin (DO) for White Wine
In addition to the recognized Denominations of Origin (DO) in Spain, there are various international regions that excel in the production of quality white wines. Here are some of the main international Denominations of Origin to consider when looking for renowned white wines:
- Bourgogne (Burgundy), France: The Burgundy region is famous for its exceptional white wine, especially made from the Chardonnay grape. Burgundy white wines are known for their elegance, complexity, and aging potential. Some of the standout appellations in Burgundy include Chablis, Meursault, and Puligny-Montrachet.
- Mosel, Germany: The Mosel wine region in Germany is known for producing high-quality white wines, particularly those made from the Riesling grape. These wines are distinguished by their vibrant acidity, mineral notes, and fruity flavors. The Mosel region offers a wide diversity of styles, from dry and fresh wines to sweet and highly complex ones.
- Marlborough, New Zealand: Marlborough, located on New Zealand's South Island, is famous for its white wines, especially those made from the Sauvignon Blanc grape. These wines are characterized by intense and vibrant aromas of tropical and citrus fruits, as well as refreshing acidity. Marlborough has gained worldwide recognition for its high-quality white wines and distinctive style.
- Rheingau, Germany: Another prominent German region for white wine production is Rheingau, situated along the Rhine River. Rheingau white wines, particularly those made from the Riesling grape, are known for their elegance, complexity, and aging potential. These wines exhibit balanced acidity, fruity flavors, and pleasant minerality.
- Casablanca Valley, Chile: Casablanca Valley is a Chilean wine region that has excelled in producing quality white wines. Thanks to its cool climate and the influence of the Pacific Ocean, this region is ideal for cultivating white grape varieties like Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay. Casablanca Valley white wines are characterized by their freshness, intense fruit flavors, and balanced acidity.
What are the Main Differences Between White Wine and Red Wine?
If you are a wine enthusiast, it's important to understand the differences between white wine and red wine in order to choose the right one based on your preferences. Here are the key differences between these two types of wine:
- Grape Varieties: White wine is primarily made from white grapes, such as Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc, while red wine is produced from red grapes, such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot. This difference in grape varieties directly affects the color, taste, and characteristics of each type of wine.
- Winemaking Process: Another key difference lies in the winemaking process. For white wine, grapes are pressed, and the juice is separated from contact with the skins and seeds before fermentation. In contrast, red wine is made by fermenting grapes along with their skins and seeds, which gives it its characteristic color and tannins.
- Color and Appearance: White wine displays a wide range of hues, ranging from pale yellow to golden or even greenish-yellow. On the other hand, red wine is characterized by its red color, which can vary from lighter and brighter shades to darker and more intense ones.
- Aromas and Flavors: White wine tends to have fresher and fruitier aromatic profiles, with citrus, floral, or tropical notes, depending on the grape variety. In contrast, red wine is characterized by more complex and deep aromas, which can include ripe fruits, spices, earthy notes, and oak.
- Serving Temperature: Generally, white wine is served colder than red wine. The ideal temperature for enjoying white wine is usually between 8°C and 12°C (46°F - 54°F), while red wine is served slightly warmer, around 15°C to 18°C (59°F - 64°F), to highlight its aromas and flavors.
- Food Pairing: White wine pairs perfectly with fish, seafood, poultry, and light dishes due to its refreshing acidity and smoothness. On the other hand, red wine is often better suited to accompany red meats, aged cheeses, and dishes with more intense flavors, thanks to its body and structure.
At Coalla Gourmet, our online store, we offer a wide selection of quality white and red wines from renowned wineries. We invite you to explore our catalog and discover the diversity of options we have available. Good white wines at the best price.
The Best White Wines Online
If you're a fan of white wine, you're in the right place. At Coalla Gourmet, our online store, we offer a wide selection of the best white wines. Discover the diversity of flavors, aromas, and characteristics that these wines have to offer, all from the comfort of your home. Buying white wine online has never been easier and more convenient. Explore our catalog and let yourself be seduced by the unique aromas and flavors offered by these exceptional wines.